Finding Female Ancestors
As genealogists all of us have brick walls: could be any time, spot or location. There isn’t any one solution for solving an end that is dead our lineage. Every issue has to be approached differently. Because many records generally in most areas and schedules are focused around males, we quite often only have a name that is first of spouse, or frequently, no title after all. We simply understand she had been the spouse of Thomas Jones. To resolve this kind of dilemma we should figure out the time, location and circumstances in accordance with our feminine ancestor. We ought to lay the groundwork for attacking the issue in a unique method.
Possibly the many way that is straightforward strike such a challenge would be to make a schedule of her life. Collect all information known about her. If you don’t much is well known, give attention to her spouse. Where had been they whenever, from wedding and sometimes even delivery, to your time that they had kids, towards the close of the everyday lives.
1. Try to find the wedding record it self. Discover the marriage record that is original. The wedding application or licence could be more valuable compared to initial. In surrounding areas, or check various marriage indexes if you can’t find the marriage, seek it.
2. Check always all feasible documents on spouse to have clues to simply help figure out whom she ended up being.
3. If ancestor fought into the military, check retirement papers when it comes to widow. Military retirement Papers valuable, specially if spouse outlived spouse. Beneficial to Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War, Union Civil War, Spanish-American War, Indian Wars, etc.
Ancestry.com has Union Pension Papers. A lady needed to show that she had been legal spouse and widow of soldier. Refused Pension Applications usually contain much more details than accepted people.
4. Land records, deeds., homestead documents or any other court documents might provide wife’s first name, and sometimes even her maiden title. Land Records: One of major sources for determining maiden name. They are perhaps perhaps not useful in big urban centers or if perhaps the family rented. If guy passed away without having a might, their property needed to be split among heirs. Included all young young ones, also daughters with married names. See them in grantor-grantee indexes. Court Public Records Sample.
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts Court of Sessions of Peace 26 Dec 1710
Rachel Codury of Marblehead seems and confessed herself responsible of ye
criminal activity of fornication with Andrew Tucker Jr. Of Marblehead.
5. Immerse yourself in every the records of this area. Learn other families, particularly her husband’s family members, their career, socio-economic status, etc. Did spouse go usually, or originate from a well-established category of the region? Did he cope with folks of other surnames? He might been employed by together with wife’s daddy, therefore discover with who he previously company transactions. Who did he purchase and to/from/with sell land? Don’t simply concentrate on the partners. Broaden your hunt. Just just exactly What took place into the young ones? Possibly another descendant has information.
6. Trace the household in every census that is possible. US or Canadian censuses, specially 1841 or 1851 and soon after. Husband’s sis hitched in nj, therefore check always N.J. and also you will dsicover his wedding here aswell. Census: U.S. 1790-1930 could possibly get access to most census returns on line. 1940 or later on can be had for the cost.
Uk census 1911, 1921 may also be searched by communication.
Canada through 1901; FamilySearch 1880 and 1881 census
Old girl coping with household in census, could be mother-in-law. Look for her DC
7. Check always private documents: your personal household documents and records, household Bibles, etc.
8. The wedding might not anywhere have been recorded that endures, particularly if in N.Y., PA, Southern States, or any frontier. Also a wedding in New England may well not endure.
9. As soon as a lady had been widowed, she became mind regarding the home. Whenever she requires help as an individual girl or even a widow, who can she look to behave as a surety in a relationship or witness to secure transaction? She shall probably visit her brothers or dad in your community. Names on appropriate papers coping with a widow may be her family relations.
10. Sources to test to discover her name:
a. Church documents
HENRY IRISH IMMIGRATED FROM BRITISH ISLES TO NYC IN 1819. HE LIVED IN NYC AND QUEENS. 1850 CENSUS STATED EACH HE AND WIFE BORN ENGLAND. LOST AN EYE ON FAMILY IN 1920’S. DISCOVERED A COUSIN INTERESTED. DISCOVER WHAT SHE KNOWS CONCERNING THE IRISHES. A LARGE was had by her PULPIT BIBLE WHICH CLAIMED:
HENRY & ANN IRISH MARRIED 1 JAN 1807 KINGSTON, PORTSEA, ENGLAND. HENRY WAS SON OF JOSEPH AND SARAH (LANGE) IRISH. HENRY WAS CREATED 15 NOV 1787 AT HAVANT, HAMPSHIRE. ANN IRISH WAS DAUGHTER OF JOHN AND MARY (REED) HILL, BORN PORTSMOUTH, HAMPSHIRE, ENGLAND.
GENEALOGICAL EPIPHANY. ! It struggled to obtain David Dearborn, it may do the job. Seek family members and bibles on Web, etc.
c. Newspaper notices of wedding, delivery, death, going, etc.
Montrose Democrat, PA. 9 Apr 1873
Married at Franklin township, Susquehanna, PA 28 Mar 1873, Henry Dearborn to skip Cordelia Annis, child of Mr. Robert Seamans (just source of wedding for the time frame). 24. Private Documents
d. Personal journals, diaries, letters in family’s possession, etc. Families have actually records, MS or printed. Samplers – cross-stitch and needlepoint, Asia ink or watercolor. Includes Family Group, parents and children’s names, delivery times, view of household farm.
Banton Family (masonic rock symbols)
Samuel Banton (passed away, age) md. Rebecca Gilham (passed away and age)
ag ag e. Gravestones or cemetery documents. Took 30 years to get the moms and dads also after found the death rock. Found descendants a few generations later on to obtain needed information.
Esther spouse of William Barth passed away Feb 28, 1832 age 78 years
child of Thomas and Tabitha Barlow of England
Had currently traced William Barlow to Esther Bantin. Stone stated, “Esther Barlow had three or four kids.”
f. Death certificate of a female needs to have her maiden title on it, along with her moms and dads’ names and birthplaces. Her husband’s death certificates must have her maiden name. Her children’s death certificates additionally could have her maiden name. Her children’s wedding documents additionally could have it. Civil or records that are vital for instance, California Death Index: Pembrook Banton passed away 1940 in Ca. Marital Reputation: Divorced. Searched divorces and discovered them. Divorce papers suggested:
Hitched in Dubuque, Iowa 14 Mar 1887
We never ever knew they ever lived in Iowa. Their siblings additionally had been present in Iowa.
g. Obituaries of spouse, spouse or family relations.
New Hampshire Morning Celebrity, Dover, N.H.
Died in Jackson, N.H. 16 Dec 1850 Mrs. Martha, spouse of Moses Anderson and daughter that is youngest of Mr. George and Mrs. Catherine Johnson, aged 17 years 8 months. An infant was left by her child. (Death certificate will not offer any one of this information. Obit much more valuable)
h. Divorce records: frequently give wife’s maiden name, or inform where as soon as hitched. May inform wherever from
i. Probate record of her dad or free asian women her brothers. You may have to read all wills within the county to ascertain her title. Probates could be published, abstracted and indexed . Brand brand New Hampshire has all wills published and abstracted having an every title index. NH State Papers, vol. 31-39.
11. Prepared or published Indexes:
- IGI or FamilySearch.com
- FHL surname catalogue
- NEHGS or other major libraries, regional towns, universities, etc.
- There are numerous CDs with marriages for a state or province
- United states Genealogical & Biographical Index (AGBI) has a huge selection of volumes. Indexes all true names in 1790 census, includes all soldiers whom fought in Revolutionary War. Indexes countess county records, esp. Brand New England. It really is at NEHGS.
- Every-name index to NEHGR – available on CD or posted. This published that is quarterly since 1847. It really is a treasure trove of data.
- PERSI – index of journal articles from 19thC for this. Can look for all entries of one’s surnames, not indiv >County histories, particularly Midwest – OH, IN, MI, IL, PA, NY areas. Called Midwest “mug books” by Vanity Press Publications. Information had been self-serving, flattered visitors to place your very own bio and photo of self, household or farm. Never accurate.
NEHGS has CD along with information inside their number of bibles.
13. Other Sources to locate maiden title:
- Transcribed or published monograph or article in log on the surname.
- The thing that was faith? Don’t assume just like you’re today. RC, Protestant, Jewish, which branch?
- Variance in documents: Church record calls her Harriet Irish; civil enrollment calls her Sarah Irish.
There are lots of sources, documents and methodologies for locating a name that is maiden.
*Your ancestor failed to appear away from nowhere. Possessed a full life and lived somewhere just before wedding.
*When ancestor married her family members didn’t disappear completely – they probably reside in the area that is same.
*Learn in regards to the area: history, topography, faith,
*There is not any guarantee we’ll find name that is maiden. We look and appearance, look for recommendations and sources and methods to approach a challenge.
*Look during the entire household – all kids, siblings, of spouse. The partners could have hitched siblings of 1 another. Seek residing descendants, bibles, death certification of family relations, to resolve a name problem that is maiden.
Allen, Donna Murray, “12 techniques to Find an Ancestor’s Maiden Name, Family Chronicle, 7:1 (Sept/Oct 2002);62
Carmack, Sharon DeBartolo, A Genealogist’s help guide to Discovering Your feminine Ancestors (Cincinnati: Betterway Books, 1998).
Deerborn, David C., “Methods to recognize a Wife’s Maiden Name,” The Essex Genealogist, 12 (1992):3-15
Dollarhide, William, “Identifying Female Ancestors: Some Case Records,” Heritage Quest, 17:3 (May/June 2001):8-17.
Hogan, Roseann R.. “Female Ancestry,” Ancestry, 12:2 (March/April 1994): 26-28.
NEHGS Lectures on Tape
- Types of Finding a Wife’s Ma >Schaefer, Christina Kassabian, The half that is hidden of household: A sourcebook for women’s genealogy (Baltimore:Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999)