Postdoctoral Fellowships System
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) system provides help to a core of the most extremely promising scientists at a time that is pivotal their jobs. The fellowships will also be designed to secure a way to obtain very qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research skills for Canadian industry, federal federal government and organizations.
Are you qualified to receive a PDF?
To be looked at eligible for support, as of the deadline date regarding the 12 months in which you use, you need to:
- be described as A canadian resident or a permanent resident of Canada;
- hold or expect to put on a doctorate in just one of the industries of research that NSERC supports.
- You are able to use only one time towards the PDF program.
- You may possibly submit just one application per to one granting agency (NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research CIHR or the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council SSHRC) year. You mustn’t have previously gotten an award that is postdoctoralincluding a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- You have to have finished all demands of the degree that is doctoral no than 2 yrs ahead of the deadline date of the season by which you use.
Note: This isn’t the conferred or convocation date suggested on your own transcript, but alternatively the date upon which all of the needs of one’s level had been met, such as the effective defence and distribution of this corrected copy of one’s thesis. The completion date of your most recent doctoral degree will be used to determine your eligibility for applicants with more than one doctoral degree.
- After you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to three years if you have acquired at least six months of full-time relevant employment in industry or government (experience in an institution or its affiliated hospitals, research institutions and other laboratories will not be considered.
- If, within couple of years after the date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you’d your job dramatically interrupted because of disease or family that is health-related, NSERC will expand this eligibility duration to 3 years.
- When you have completed a non-research based medical residency system when you received your doctorate, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to 3 years.
- If, within couple of years after the date of conclusion of the PhD, you’d your job notably interrupted as a result of parental, medical and/or responsibilities that are family-related NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to 3 years.
- If, within 2 yrs before or following the date of completion of one’s PhD, you feel the caregiver that is primary the delivery or use of a young child, NSERC will extend the eligibility duration to six years.
- If you’re at the mercy of a protracted eligibility duration, then you can be expected by NSERC to produce extra information and/or supporting documents. Any such distribution to NSERC is only going to be utilised by staff to evaluate your eligibility to your system. If you want to notify the review committee of delays and/or circumstances that will have affected your performance and/or efficiency, you might do this within the Special Circumstances area of the applying.
Where are you able to hold your fellowship?
You can easily hold your PDF at:
- Canadian organizations
- provincial research organizations in Canada
- other research that is appropriate in Canada
- organizations and research organizations abroad
You can not hold a PDF in Canadian federal government laboratories or in commercial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages you to definitely undertake research which involves collaboration along with other organizations that are canadian. The type associated with collaboration that is proposed be appropriate towards the host organization.
- You could hold a PDF abroad as long as you have got gotten your doctorate from the institution that is canadian.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining contact with different research environments. You’re not allowed to put up your fellowship at the institution that is sameor its affiliated hospitals, research organizations along with other laboratories) where you received your doctorate. Nevertheless, you may request an exception which is considered by the choice committee. The demand should be www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PQZKo1RRuo review predicated on medical reasons (as an example, proximity to needed health care facilities), family members reasons (for instance, a partner’s job) or medical reasons (as an example, option of specific gear), which can make it exceptionally hard for you really to keep a specific organization. Even though your exclusion is awarded, you’re not allowed to be supervised by the PhD supervisor. You are motivated to add a location that is alternate your PDF in case your ask for an exclusion just isn’t authorized.
- You might perhaps perhaps not support the PDF together with your PhD supervisor, no matter if your manager modifications research organizations.
- Keeping a PDF abroad may impact your residency status in Canada. You could need to contact the appropriate Canadian authorities or an expert that is appropriate advice.
How will you use?
It is possible to submit an application for a PDF by finishing and Form that is submitting 201 connecting supporting documents if required. See the directions on the best way to complete Form 201.
Application due date
NSERC must get the job electronically prior to 8:00 p.m. (ET) on 17 october. Incomplete applications will soon be refused.
Except for individual contact information, NSERC will likely not accept any modifications or updates to the application after it was submitted. Individual contact information may be updated by delivering a contact to email@example.com.
Review procedures and selection criteria
NSERC scholarships and fellowships selection committees review all PDF applications. The choice committees assess each application based on the selection requirements described within the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships tools. Keep in mind that NSERC may increase equity and diversity among qualified candidates by giving award concern to meritorious candidates whom self-identify as Indigenous and/or as a lady, if adequate funds become available. The choice committees are arranged in line with the after broad control groups:
- Civil and engineering that is industrial
- Chemical, biomedical and materials technology engineering
- Technical engineering
- Electric engineering
- Computing sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Physics and astronomy
- World sciences
- Ecology and evolution
- Cellular and molecular biology
- Animal and plant biology
The research topic code (see selection of Research Subject Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) joined regarding the application will figure out the choice committee when the application would be examined. NSERC may designate the program up to a committee that is different it determines that the topic matter is more suitable for another committee.
NSERC expects selection committee users to consistently guard resistant to the chance for unconscious bias affecting the decision-making procedure, whether these biases derive from a way of thinking, fundamental versus used research, specific sub-disciplines, aspects of research or approaches (including growing people), size or trustworthiness of an institution, age, gender and/or other individual facets of this applicant.
NSERC is functioning on the data that equity, variety and addition fortify the medical and engineering communities additionally the quality, social relevance and effect of research. Candidates should relate to concerns 5 to 7 within the Guide for Candidates: Considering equity, variety and addition in the application to learn more.
A of the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships Programs which provides useful information on what committee members look for in assessing applications in preparing their application, applicants should consult the Selection criteria and indicators section and Appendix. Candidates also needs to read the guidelines for finishing an application – Form 201.
Candidates are selected and evaluated according to:
- Analysis capability and potential(70%)
- Correspondence, social and leadership abilities (30%)
Notification of choice
NSERC will inform all candidates regarding the results by the end of January. NSERC will maybe not offer outcomes by phone.
NSERC will publish the names (as well as other fundamental information that is award of fellowship recipients on its site. To learn more, look at use of Ideas Act therefore the Privacy Act.
Conditions of this honor
Make reference to the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for policies and needs about keeping the honor, such as for instance acceptance, begin date, deferment, paid leave that is parental keeping the prize for a part-time foundation, etc.